• Portuguese is spoken by over 230 million people.
• It is the sixth most widely spoken language in the world.
• Portuguese is spoken in four continents: Europe, South America, Africa and Asia.
• It is the official language of eight countries: Angola, Brazil, Cape Verde, East Timos, Guine-Bissau, Mozambique, Portugal, and São Tome and Principe.
• It is the third most spoken European language after English and Spanish.
• Brazil has a Portuguese speaking population of 190 million.
• Brazil is a 21st century economic powerhouse. The 5th largest economy in the world.
• Portuguese speaking countries have an incredibly interesting history, culture and gastronomy.
• Portuguese speaking destinations make for great holiday choices.
Both of the words “Por” and “Para” in Portuguese can mean “FOR” or “TO” in English, however the distinction between the two is a little more complicated than that. So let´s take a closer look …
PARA can mean “TO”, “FOR”, “TOWARDS” and “IN ORDER TO”, whereas
POR can mean “BY”, “FOR”, “THROUGH”, “VIA”.
Here are a few hints to help make it a bit easier when deciding on which preposition to use: Continue reading