2. Spanish is the official language of 22 countries in four continents; Spain, Canary Islands (Europe), Argentina, Bolivia, Ecuador, Chile, Peru, Mexico, Paraguay, Panama, Venezuela, Guatemala, Honduras, Puerto Rico, Nicaragua (America), Ceuta, Melilla, Equatorial Guinea, Western Sahara, Gabon (Africa), Eastern Island (Oceania).
3. Mexico has the largest number of Spanish-speaking population (121 million people) followed by the United States (53 million people).
4. Spanish is the third most used language on the internet and the second most used language on Facebook and Twitter.
5. Spanish is the second most studied language in the world. More than 21 million people were studying Spanish in 2015.
6. As Spanish is a Romance language it has similarities between French, Italian and Portuguese which all originate from Latin. 70% of Spanish words come from Latin. Agua (aqua – water) Dios (deus – God), Tierra (terra-Earth). This means that if you know any of these languages you will find it easier to learn Spanish.
7. Spanish is one of the easiest languages to learn. It is a phonetic language so you say words exactly as you see them written. Spanish only has ten vowel and diphthong sounds whereas English has twenty.
8. Many Arabic words have been incorporated into the Spanish language after the Arab invasion which lasted for nearly nine centuries. Examples include, zanahoria (carrot), almohada (pillow), rehén (hostage) and aceite (oil).
9. “E” is the most used letter and “W” is the least used. The preposition “de” (of/from) is the most used word in the Spanish language. The longest Spanish word contains 25 letters esternocleidomastoiditis which is a specific medical term.
10. Some people refer to Spanish as “Castellano” or “Castilian” as this is the Spanish spoken in mainland Spain.
So these are just a few good reasons for you to join the 21 million people already learning Spanish!