When you are learning a language it is important to be able to practise with a native speaker of that language. A great way to do this is by using a language exchange website where you can find people who speak the language you are learning to chat with over email, Skype or even meet up with later on. It can be a good way to make friends in other countries and to find out more about their language and culture.
Here are some of the most popular sites to find a language exchange partner:
1. Go Speaky – Sign up for free to find native speakers all over the world. With over 100 languages you are bound to find your ideal language exchange partner. It uses integrated video chat which you can even access from your mobile phone so you can chat with you partner anywhere, any time.
2. My Language Exchange – Join the language exchange community to find a partner to practise your second language with. There are over one million members in over 133 countries with a range of 115 languages. You can find penpals or even arrange a group homestay exchange. The site also features word games, a bulletin board to discuss language related themes such as technologies, books and films, culture, hobbies, cooking and recipes etc.
3. Conversation Exchange – You can post an advert about yourself, your native language and the language you are learning along with your interests so that those interested in setting up an exchange with you can contact you. You can also search for an exchange partner and send a request to them. You can correspond by email, text and voice chat via Skype, Windows Live Messenger, Google Talk etc. or meet up with them if they live nearby.
4. Easy Language Exchange – This is an easy to use language exchange site which is also free to join. As well as learning with other members through audio and video chat, you can also take lessons from teachers.
5. Interpals – You can find penpals, language exchange partners as well as travel buddies on this site. You just fill in a simple form to say which language you are learning and the site will show you people who match your criteria. Alternatively, you can search the existing adverts to find your ideal language exchange partner. There is also a forum on a whole range of subjects.
6. Papora language exchange – find a language partner, from a selection of more than 100 languages and 130 countries from all around the globe! You can also access the groups section and participate in group discussions. It is free to try.