We all know the fact that learning a second language has excellent benefits. Language is the gateway to a new culture, allowing us to connect with other people from all over the world in a more meaningful way than ever before. But learning a new language is also good for your health. Now, we will look at the latest research on the impact of learning a new language on the human brain.
Learning a second language increases the brain’s language center and the hippocampus, which is the area in the brain responsible for the formation, storage, and retrieval of memories. It also increases the density of gray matter and improves blood flow to the brain.
Your brain thrives when learning complex and new things. Learning a new or second language definitely meets the requirements.
Millions of people participate in online brain training to keep their minds sharp but learning a second language is an infinite beneficial use of your time.
Further, speaking a foreign language can bring good news to your career and enrich your personal development.
Compared with people who only speak one language, people who speak different languages are more prone to:
● Hold higher comprehensive intelligence
● Possess the excellent overall cognitive ability
● Better at decision-making, prioritizing and planning
● Score higher in standardized math, vocabulary, and reading tests
● More sensible to the surrounding environment
● Avoid falling into marketing hype
● Understand the opinions of others
● Have better concentration, focusing, and thought
● Delay in immediate gratification when pursuing long-term goals
● Have better memory and vision
● Express mental flexibility
● Better at prioritizing duties and processing various projects at the same time
● Be better at remembering directions, names, and lists
● Understand their native language better
● Have good listening skills
● Be more creative
● Make better rational choices, including more reliable financial decisions
FSI distributes the languages into the following groups of difficulty for English speakers and how long does it take to learn a specific language:
● First Group: 25-30 weeks (650-750 hours class)
Dutch, Danish, Spanish, Italian, Norwegian, Portuguese, Romanian, French, Swedish. These are some languages which are most like the English language.
● Second Group: 32-36 weeks (850-900 hours class)
Malay, Indonesian, German, Swahili.
● Third Group: 40-44 weeks (1000-1100 hours class)
Bulgarian, Amharic, Finnish, Russian, Cambodian, Vietnamese, Greek, Serbo-Croatian, Czech, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Lao, Polish, Turkish, and Thai. These are the so-called ‘challenging languages,’ meaning they are different culturally and linguistically from the English language.
● Fourth Group: 80-88 weeks (2000-2200 hours class)
Japanese, Arabic, Korean, and Chinese.
Although English is one of the best languages to learn for business and widely used in many continents, there is no universal language for international business. The language that suits your business depends on the industry and regional factors and your business focus.
However, if you plan to attract international business, customers, or just better position your resume for success, here are the eight most valuable languages. We include these languages based on data on the most used languages globally and the languages widely used in industries and regions where the economy is currently growing.
1. English: The widely spoken language for local and international business
2. Mandarin Chinese: An excellent choice for international business
3. French: A versatile international language for business
4. Arabic: The fastest-growing business language
5. German: The business language of Europe
6. Spanish: An international business language for Central, South, and North America
7. Russian: A strategically valuable international business language
8. Portuguese: A surprisingly important international business language
Knowing a second language is one of the most challenging things the brain does, which makes it the ultimate brain exercise. Therefore, learning a foreign language is one of the most effective and practical ways to delay brain aging, keep your mind sharp, and improve your intelligence.