Meet our Greek Tutor: Lia Goultidou
Why learn Greek?
- Learning Greek will help you understand English better.
- More than 150.000 words of English are derived from Greek words!
- It will help you learn additional languages more easily.
- Greece is a beautiful country to visit.
- Knowing some Greek will make holidays more enjoyable.
- Greek people are friendly and hospitable.
Our new Greek tutor Lia’s background
Lia is a qualified language teacher who has a Bachelor’s degree in Philosophy and Education. Since graduating from the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki in Greece, she has been deeply passionate about education. Her aim is to help people of all levels and abilities gain confidence when communicating in Greek. She is a highly patient tutor who offers encouragement and motivation through individually tailored lessons to suit different goals, interests and learning styles.
Lia’s teaching experience
Being a teacher has been her childhood dream, and being able to help students achieve their learning goals while having an impact on their life choices has been a fulfilling and rewarding journey for her. She has many years of teaching experience and throughout her career she has prepared students for their language exams, worked with students who were expanding their businesses to Greece, taught children of Greek immigrants and also helped students who planned to relocate to Greece.
How do lessons work?
Lia offers online lessons via platforms such as Skype or Zoom using a wide range of language teaching methodologies and techniques with particular focus on speaking, listening and reading skills. She uses PowerPoint presentations in her online courses to support the visualisation of the lesson plans which creates an engaging learning environment.
What materials are used in lessons?
She uses carefully selected textbooks with modern layout, a variety of personalised vocabulary and listening exercises that helps to build a rich log of vocabulary along with pronunciation activities. She makes it a priority to create opportunities for speaking practice to help students become confident at communicating in Greek.
Knowledge of how languages work
Lia has studied English at a language school from a young age and has a degree of Proficiency in English from Cambridge University. Her proficient knowledge of the English language and deep understanding of the grammar and syntax functions have helped her create useful associations between the two languages which has proved to be a very effective tool when teaching.
Benefits of knowing Greek
- There are incredible psychological benefits of learning another language and studies confirm that learning additional languages increases critical thinking skills, creativity and flexibility of the mind.
- The Greek language has had an important influence on the English language. The ancient Greeks were the first to use a ‘true’ alphabet, that is one representing both vowels and consonants. Indeed, the word alphabet is formed of the first two letters of the Greek alphabet, ‘alpha’ and ‘beta’.
- Learning Greek provides access to many opportunities in the fields of history and archaeology.
- The Greek language and culture has had a fundamental influence on Western languages and cultures, therefore, learning Greek allows students to improve their understanding of their own language structure and culture.
If you feel like taking on a new challenge and learning Greek sounds appealing to you, feel free to contact us
today to find out more about the lessons and the various options that are available to you.